Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do students dream of electric beeps?

These lovely experimental philosophers (not to be confused with scientists) have been known to set a device that emits electronic beeps at random intervals during their academic talks.  After a beep, they randomly poll audience members about what was going on in their 'last undisturbed moment of inner experience before the beep'.

The 'representative' results discussed are predictable for anyone who has ever been to any kind of academic gathering: 1 out of 6 are thinking (or 'experiencing') anything at all about the content of the talk, and that solitary person is 'feeling confused'.

I think this is probably also true of most undergraduate lectures, and I need to remind myself of that whenever I am tempted to become a gesticulating, monologue-ing, talking head.  I might be experiencing great intellectual engagement when I present my thoughtful arguments to an audience, but they are more likely to be experiencing the "feeling of tiredness; maybe feeling tingling on tooth from permanent retainer."

No comments: