Saturday, March 13, 2010

Biology, I missed you.

I'm only half-way through my paltry teaching load this semester, so maybe I'm not ready to say what I do and don't like about teaching, but I can definitely say what I love about designing classes and assessments.  I love learning about, thinking about, analyzing, reimagining and immersing myself in biology.  Until I had to design introductory biology classes I hadn't realised just how much I missed thinking and learning about the big concepts in biology; I was trapped in the minutiae of my research.  I guess I still am, most days, but at least teaching now gives me an occasional outlet.

1 comment:

Sandlin said...

This reminds me of that Dilbert idea that you'll be promoted to your point of least competence. I'm glad you don't have to lose sight of what enticed you into studying biology in the first place though. Follow your zen! Lord knows there are plenty of places aching for someone who want to teach intro bio.