Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sweet, sweet candy (and random matings)

Today F1B and I spent a good deal of time loudly and earnestly debating the mechanics of Hershey Kiss matings and inter-candy marriage.  I wasn't surprised to get some funny looks from fellow lab-mates, but I was happy to hear more than one commentator express regret at missing out on the fun.

I don't know how fun it actually was, but Operation Random Mating is almost Mission Accomplished.  Albeit with a few casualties (40 alleles were consumed or had mysteriously migrated before the end of the exercise).

FIRST-IV-ers may recognize our shameless plagiarism of the Hershey Kiss/Tootsie Roll Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium simulation, in which students are assigned a genotype at a two-allele candy locus.  I really love the idea of making an abstract model a little more tangible, but I was worried all the 'mechanics' involved would suck up our very limited time.  It turns out the mechanics were fine (our students are very efficient at mating), but it took a really long time for students to get their head around the maths.  And this is very, very simple maths.  I'm interested to see what happens when the activity continues tomorrow....

No comments: